Bray and Slaughter is celebrating after landing an internationally-recognised award for demonstrating high health and safety standards.

The Gold Medal Award comes following successfully receipt of 5 consecutive Gold Awards for working hard to ensure its staff/customers/clients and supply chain get home safely to their families at the end of every working day.

Organisations receiving a RoSPA Award are recognised as being world-leaders in health and safety practice. Every year, nearly 2,000 entrants vie to achieve the highest possible accolade in what is the UK's longest-running H&S industry awards.

Grant Jefferies - Managing Director said: "This is a fantastic achievement by the Bray and Slaughter team. Our health and safety management system is accredited to ISO 45001 and together with these awards demonstrate that our discipline towards safe working practices is firmly embedded within the organisation. This Health and Safety approach is implemented more widely by our supply chain who stringently adopt our robust processes and procedures as standard practice supporting us to achieve a successful outcome on all of our projects. We look forward to continue the success of these awards for years to come."

Julia Small, RoSPA's achievements director said: "The RoSPA Awards scheme is the longest-running of its kind in the UK, but it receives entries from organisations across the globe, making it one of the most sought-after achievement awards for health and safety worldwide."

We strive to take small and practical steps towards a less carbon centric future, our sites are already excellent at monitoring environmental performance and we are proud of the efforts we have made in this regard.

B&S staff already have an excellent working environment and can now consider adding a fully electric car to their options for workplace travel, safe in the knowledge that chargers are in place.

We are pleased to announce that we have secured the contract to complete the phased refurbishment of the South Western Ambulance Service Trust ambulance station in Bristol.

The works to this busy station will be completed in phases to allow the critical work carried out here to continue during construction, in addition to a full upgrade of the m&e services we are creating new spaces for the storage of consumables, welfare of staff, improvements to the internal layouts and the construction of new offices for the senior leadership team.

It is great to be supporting the Trust to enhance their existing facility after an extensive period of responding to the coronavirus pandemic in addition to their normal workload providing healthcare in emergency situations.

Managing Director Grant Jefferies commented: "Close control, planning and co-ordinating each phase of works is critical to the success of the project and we look forward to working closely with the professional team to deliver these improvements to the facility".

Congratulations to new Operations Manager, Andrew Evans and Project Manager, Martin Hancock on their promotions. Andrew has been responsible for delivering some of our most challenging schemes in recent years, completing a number of projects at Dyson, Cardiff University and Geldards at CQ4. Martin has been instrumental in the delivery of complex projects at Bath University and through the Cardiff University framework, which have required a number of innovative solutions to overcome site challenges.

Managing Director, Grant Jefferies commented: "Andrew and Martin have shown a real commitment to continuing professional development and going above and beyond to deliver for our clients. Their technical ability and leadership, particularly over the course of the past year have been invaluable and these promotions are richly deserved. I look forward to working with them on a number of exciting projects we have in the pipeline".

The contract was for the design and build of a new 2-storey Agricultural Technology Facility.

Works comprised of a phased scheme over 3 buildings. The Agri-Tech facility now acts as the main reception and the starting point to access all of the specialist facilities located throughout.

A new facade to the Scott Baker building enabling the visual establishment of a campus identify to contribute into creating the sense of a 'hub' at the arrival area. Additionally external works to the Campus Plaza to prioritise use by pedestrians, thus enhancing the experience of the campus 'hub'.

The facility at the Lackham campus will enable students to learn and train in some of the latest technologies and facilities, enabling the future agricultural workforce to develop and maintain competitive edge and protect the rural economy.

Matthew Cooper - Operations Director commented:"The staff and students at Wiltshire College now have a Technology facility that offers real opportunities for our future farmers to increase productivity and protect the rural economy. We are delighted with the quality of the finished product. The site team, designers and supply chain partners worked diligently through challenging times to provide excellent customer service throughout."

Bray and Slaughter have successfully completed the extensive refurbishment of the Cricklade Leisure Centre for key customer Wiltshire Council.

The £2M leisure facility was in need of an upgrade and had been in the planning since December 2019.

The leisure centre refurbishment was carried out at the height of the Coronavirus pandemic which had hit the United Kingdom.

A reorganisation to methods of working was required to ensure that works were carried out safely and in line with government guidelines. Despite a number of challenges the leisure centre was successfully delivered and has opened its doors to members following the ending of the latest lockdown restrictions.

Refurbishment works included a new plant room extension, removal and replacement of asbestos roofs to pool and gym areas; structural repairs to the pool roof; alterations and refurbishment to the pool, wet change area and squash courts; first-floor meeting room and gym expansion; alterations and refurbishment to the dry change area; installation of platform lift; internal alterations to a Youth Centre and associated external works.

The project was carried out in phases stages whilst the leisure centre remained occupied during differing stages throughout the course of the works.

Let's rewind back to the 1950’s and Bray & Slaughter’s involvement in the rebuild of the Byzantine inspired Holy Nativity Church. The church was the first in the city of Bristol to be destroyed when bombing took place in November 1940 during the regions first heavy air raid.  Please read the full and remarkable coverage of the church survival story……..

In the latter part of the 19th century the South side of Bristol was expanding due to industrial growth based around Temple Meads railway station and the Port of Bristol. The influx of workers needed to maintain new industries led to steady growth in the local population, and the previous hamlets of Knowle and Totterdown expanded to become suburbs of Bristol.

There was nowhere for this new population to worship. Fr Turton, a local assistant priest, was keen to provide a solution, so with the blessing of the Vicar of Bedminster a decision was made to erect a Mission Chapel dedicated to The Holy Nativity.

The site chosen was close to Arnos Vale Cemetery in Knowle, where a wooden church was built to serve the local residents, opening in 1865. From the start the Mission Chapel was well attended and grew significantly in size until it became necessary to find a larger, more permanent building to accommodate the congregation.

The location for the new church was on land donated by Messrs Goolden and Vowles on the Wells Road, Knowle, where the church has remained to this day.

In 1867 the existing Chapel was moved to a new site, and an appeal for building funds started. To save money the new church was developed in sections, with the nave of the old Mission Chapel being placed against the new chancel. The Mayor of Bristol laid the foundation stone of the new church on 18th June, 1870 and the new church was dedicated on Holy Cross Day, 14th September, 1871.

Included in the will of the late Mr Edward Feltham, a Church Warden who died on 26th November 1930, were several bequests to the church that included £5,000 for the completion of the Spire (or Tower) in memory of the Reverend Robert Ives.

Forward to 1940 and World War II the air raid began at around 6 pm and the first hour of the attack marked the destruction of the church. Due to the blackout regulations introduced some months earlier Evensong had been brought forward to 3:30 pm and this undoubtedly saved lives. By chance the Tower, Clock and Bells survived the destruction and it was said that as the flames consumed the church the clock continued to chime.

Approval to tender to rebuild the church was given in December 1950, so the architect was instructed to proceed with the application for a licence. By the beginning of 1954 a licence had been issued for the rebuilding of the Church in the sum of £57,805. This was significantly short of the estimated £60,992 for rebuilding fabric. An addition grant was made from the War Damage Commission, but it was clear that there would be a substantial shortfall and a restoration fund was started. On the 6th June that year, the Church Council approved the signing of the Rebuilding Contract, with the work expected to begin in early July, and finish in November, 1955.

We are so very proud of our involvement in this piece of Bristol history and delighted that this church and its’ beautifully patinated spire continues to thrive today. 

We are delighted to announce that Bray and Slaughter have been approved to join the Joint Supply Chain Accreditation Register (JOSCAR) which enables companies in the Aerospace, Defence and Security sectors to identify qualified suppliers.

This accreditation indicates that Bray and Slaughter has met the JOSCAR standards pertaining to company capability, accreditations, information security, corporate social responsibility, financial history and ethical operations.

The highly valued accreditation is achieved strictly by invite only and is recognised by some of the largest purchasers in the defence community such as Babcock, BAE Systems, QinetiQ to name a few.

Becoming a member assures our customers that the service we offer is of the highest quality and complies fully with the industry standards.

The community nature of JOSCAR provides a standardised, collaborative approach in benefiting our customers through the delivery of secure and reliable compliance information.